counter on blogger
Monday, January 20, 2014
New 100% Gluten-Free Bakery in New York City: By The Way Bakery

On a busy Friday morning, I had the pleasure of meeting Helene Godin, the powerhouse behind By the Way Bakery, the new 100% gluten-free bakery in Manhattan. Helene started her gluten-free bakery, By the Way Bakery, back in 2011 in Hastings-on-Hudson and then decided to bring her delicious baked goods south to Manhattan. From reading about Helene and watching her on the Good Life Project (watch this!!) to our pleasant emails before my visit, I could tell I was about to meet a very happy, kind, and caring individual who wanted to feed her customers safely and deliciously.

Once I stepped into By the Way Bakery at 2442 Broadway on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, I was not disappointed. All of the staff were friendly and helpful and all of the customers were happy. My favorite quote of the morning was from a gluten-eating customer who said "I think you removed the gluten and added crack, I am addicted to these baked goods!" As you know, for a gluten-eating person to say anything good about gluten-free food is a MAJOR compliment.

Helene and I chatted about the bakery both here and in Hastings-on-Hudson (where all of the products are baked each day), the product ingredients, and  the new Kosher certification which was easy to come by since everything in the bakery is already dairy-free. As we started talking more in-depth about the ingredients, Helene showed me the recipe book for all of her products and the ingredients of every single item used in the bakery. This was HUGELY impressive. You could see the manufacturer labels for all of the ingredients by flipping through the binder that Helene was more than happy to share with me and every customer that asks when they come into the bakery. I love the transparency that By the Way Bakery has with their customers. No surprises about what goes into the gluten-free/dairy-free products you are about to eat!

Helene was overly generous with the gluten-free samples she sent me home with and I know a few extra gym sessions would be needed this past weekend. I had a half of a banana muffin and a half slice of carrot cake for breakfast when I got to my office. The first thing I noticed about the food was how moist it was. Gluten-free baked goods tend to be really dry, but not these products. They were flavorful, moist, and delicious. I also tried a sour cherry coffee cake and another mini cake (can't remember what kind, just know it was good.) Helene also gave me a chocolate mini cake but I decided to save that for my friend.

It may sound cliche but By the Way Bakery is awesome. Plain and simple. I would go as far to say that this might be one of the BEST gluten-free bakeries I have ever been too and probably my new favorite gluten-free bakery in New York City. Go out of your way to go here or in Hastings-on-Hudson if you find yourself north of the city. You will not be disappointed!


By the Way Bakery
100% gluten-free, dairy-free, and Kosher
2442 Broadway between 90th St and 91st St
Open every day 8am to 6pm



Reasonable prices for a New York City bakery! 

A sampling of gluten-free goods

Now serving Stumptown Coffee

Cake of the day by the slice, muffins, and even more cakes

Samples! 

Ingredients and recipes available for ALL customers to review upon request

Helene was overly generous with giving me samples

Banana walnut muffin, carrot cake slice, and the cute bakery on the way out



Labels: ,



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer