counter on blogger
Friday, September 13, 2013
Happy Celiac Awareness Day 2013

Today is Celiac Awareness Day. We recognize Celiac Disease today, and not in Celiac Awareness Month which is in may, because according to the NFCA "the 13th is the birthday of Samuel Gee, a pediatrician who published the first complete clinical description of celiac disease in 1888. Gee was the first to recognize that the symptoms of celiac disease are related to diet."

I have been living with Celiac Disease since 1981. Having Celiac Disease is an integral part of who I am today. It has lead me to this wonderful (and sometimes crazy) world of social media. It has introduced me to amazing friends and a wonderful support network. It has encouraged me to spread awareness and hope to the newly diagnosed. It has also inspired me to overcome my limitations and to travel the world. Honestly, I have no clue what my life would be like without Celiac Disease since it is so much a part of me. 

Celiac Disease has made me the person, advocate, blogger,
and support group leader that I am today. 


It may sound strange, but for that I am thankful.  There are so many things I would never have done if I didn't have Celiac Disease and one of those things is write this blog. While I might have had challenges over the years, I honestly cannot imagine my life any other way.

HAPPY CELIAC AWARENESS DAY EVERYONE! 

Labels:



3 Comments:

Blogger ackdavis said...

Joyous Celiac Awareness Day to you, Erin. Thank you for all you do. Keep up your good, no, great works. Celiac and gluten affected people need you. We all benefit.

Anonymous Alicia_NFCA said...

Happy Celiac Awareness Day, Erin! Thank you for being the amazing advocate that you are.

- Alicia, NFCA

Anonymous Candice said...

I couldn't agree with you more! I always advocate that we are people first, but if it wasn't for my diagnosis I wouldn't have learned the true meaning of advocacy and empowerment.

Thanks for inspiring so many in the community.

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer