counter on blogger
Tuesday, December 2, 2008
Gluten-Free Wrigley Products
As I was chewing Orbit gum yesterday, I realized that was one of those products that I never really think about having gluten. Of course, I should have probably checked before I started chewing the gum but I figured I would write to Wrigley and see what they had to say. The following is from one of their Consumer Affairs Representatives. For additional information from Wrigley, please contact them at 1-800-WRIGLEY Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. CST.

The following is a list of U.S. Wrigley products that remain free of any wheat, oat, rye or barley gluten:

Wrigley's Spearmint® gum
Freedent® gum
Doublemint® gum
Extra® gum
Big Red® gum
Eclipse® gum
Juicy Fruit® gum
Winterfresh® gum
Orbit® gum
Orbit® White gum
Lifesavers®
Altoids®
5® products

Please note that Altoids Chocolate Dipped mints carry a warning that the product is made on equipment that also processes milk and wheat.

If your sensitivity extends to other types of gluten, several of our brands contain corn syrup, which may have trace amounts of corn gluten in it. The amount of gluten in one stick is less than 0.2 milligrams, but if you are extremely sensitive, you may want to consult with your physician before chewing our brands

Additionally, no packaging material directly next to our product contains gluten sources. There may be instances when starches are used on the label around each individual stick of gum, but these starches are produced from corn or potatoes, not from wheat, rye, barley, oats, millet or buckwheat.

Labels: ,



4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember hearing that most gum had gluten when I was first diagnosed. I was soooo excited when I found out that it was outdated info and started chomping on Extra again. Though there are still some with gluten (wheat maltodextrin in altoids gum - really??) it's nice that there are so many options.

--catherine
www.aglutenfreeguide.com

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought the same thing as well. I remember reading on some gluen-free website to stay away from gum for the same reason.

Anonymous orbit gum said...

Whoa. I never thought about that either. Thanks!

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Warning - Wrigley's Orbit spearmint gum has some ingredient (probably hydrogenated starch hydrolysate) that is NOT gluten free. I had two reactions today and just figured out the connection to the gum! :-( It never crossed my mind to check.

Post a Comment

<< Home

©2007-2018 Gluten-Free Fun
footer